Saturday 17 December 2011

Christmas Markets

  Fried, and covered with cheese and garlic, my taste buds were telling me to continue, however, my heart was crying to stop.  Another bite and I might as well order a side of bypass surgery to go along with my plasky potato pancake dish.  Since my first trip to a local hospital, which was required for my residence permit, began with a chest x-ray from a 50 year old machine the size of a Hummer, and resulted in a month long bruise on my entire right forearm from giving blood to a woman who did not wear protective gloves, I decided to listen to my heart.  No, I was not at another American fast food establishment, but rather enjoying the Christmas Markets of Bratislava and Vienna this past weekend. 

 
 


         The Christmas markets begin in late November throughout cities and town across Europe, and become a mecca for celebrating the holiday spirit with local crafts, foods, and of course, drinks.  Although more than a decade years ago, but since my university degree came with an elective course in ice staking, the ice rink built in the middle of the town square was no match for my skills.  I spent Saturday night with friends from the small American community here.  The weather was cold, but the vast selection of hot Slovak punches or wines with spices and fruit, and warm sandwiches made by the Serbs kept the conversations spirited.  I ended back to the markets multiple times this month to sample the fried potato wedges and different chicken, beef, and sausage items on delicious homemade bread.  At this Bratislava market, grease seems to be considered a condiment equivalent of ketchup, mustard, or onions.  Upon ordering a sausage that was prepared and waiting on the side of the grill, the cook took the sausage, rolled it around the grease pan, and put it back on my plate all while I stood there wondering if it would have been easier to just serve me a shot glass of used cooking oil.

  Sunday consisted of a quick hour long train ride to explore the various markets of Vienna.  Wandering down narrow pedestrian streets lined with shops and stands, Vienna offered a numerous selection of hand-blown glass, jewelry, and candles.  After a quick meal and tea, it was back to wandering the streets.  I found a nice selection of glass ornaments and candles for family, and the fun part will be traveling to Chicago with so much delicate glass.

  The markets may not be for the health conscious, and fortunately for my arteries they only a short time during the year, but they are definitely a fun and exciting time that are worth the experience.  

Stacks of fried plasky


Serbian Chicken and Beef




No comments:

Post a Comment