Monday 5 December 2011

American Traditions


  Traditional Thanksgiving dinner this year was done “My Way”, and what isn’t more American than a flame broiled burger and fries from Burger King?  However, I did end up enjoying a traditional Thanksgiving dinner on Saturday at a party which was run by the American school in Bratislava.  But, while living in the US the last few years, I have probably eaten at McDonalds, Burger King, and KFC in total no more than four times in a given year.  In less than two months that I have been living in Europe, I have already eaten at these fine establishments a total of 12 times.  As I continue to experience new foods and traditions, I know I will eventually not eat at those places as often and more similar to the frequency which I did in the US.  However, as we make changes to our daily routine and travel or live in new places, I believe we initially search for things that we are familiar with, which make any change more comfortable, while slowly adjusting to the new surroundings.  Even the other day while compiling my Christmas wish list, this year I actually asked for frozen meals from local Chicago restaurants to bring back to Slovakia.  I am really looking forward to the challenge of bringing a suitcase full of Portillo’s Italian Beef and Giordano’s Deep Dish Pizza packed with dry ice through airport security.

My first duck meal with the team
  I believe that has been the case with me, and I have searched for some familiar things to slowly transition to living here, but I have let that stop me from trying and enjoying local foods.  Duck is one of the more traditional meals here in Slovakia, and I was able to enjoy a meal with my entire team one night.  It was my first time trying duck, and I had some initial hesitation.  Growing up, my family and I would vacation on a lake, and I run down to the lake to feed the ducks as they came by.  But the thought of fattening a duck up only to eventually grab one for dinner never crossed my mind.  The meal was delicious, and I will continue to try new traditional foods.  The one thing I told friends and colleagues here is to tell me what I ate after trying it, so that I go in with a clear, unbiased conscience, otherwise I may not even try the item.  I just hope that does not come back to bite me, but I will definitely blog about if it does.

  Another tradition that does not exist here is Trick or Treating on Halloween, which as a child, was one of the highlights of the year.  I am not sure how I would have survived here because if you ask any of my family, colleagues, or dentist, sugar and sweets are a constant staple in my diet.  Before you read this next sentence, I do actually eat pretty healthy, but we all enjoy certain foods.  Some of the items which are more difficult to find or do not exist here but are prevalent in American society are peanut butter, pancake mix (I have no idea how to make them without the mix), maple syrup, bagels, donuts, Cherry Coke, Chips Ahoy cookies (which I actually suffer from cookie binging can take down the entire row in 10 minutes without even noticing), Cheetos, and Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups (and any Hershey product).  However, they have a wide selection of taco mix, soft shells, and salsa, as well as Philadelphia Cream Cheese.  So if you are able to visit me while here, you are always welcomed to stay at my place, but, I may request you bring a couple of the items mentioned above.

  Finally, one interesting observation in transitioning from a world of miles and gallons to kilometers and liters.  In the US, if I asked someone how far a city within the same state of my current location might be, I was always given an answer in the form of time – 30 minutes, 2 hours, etc.  But when you ask any here that same question, the answer is always in the form of distance, in kilometers, which I still have absolutely no idea.

Old Town Square
Walking through the Old Town to the Castle

Bratislava Castle





4 comments:

  1. How happy would you be if there was a Potbelly over there?!

    I am excited about you coming home for Christmas! Can't wait to see you and catch up.

    PS: You didn't make the playoffs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pancake mix: 250 gram flour; 0,5 liters milk; 2 eggs. I leave the translation into ounces and gallons up to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can find Reese's at mall called Avion in a grocery store Hypernova. Peanut butter and maple syrup you can find in Tesco, they have only one or two brands so you cannot be too picky about that... and they often run out of them but just keep looking. If you like cherry coke, why not try their alternative Kofola, you can get that in cherry flavor as well (the one with pink/purple lable). Bagels.... I'm actually glad they don't have any of them here because I like them too much.

    You arrived just in perfect time, because they didn't have Philadephia cheese before. This country is so much better now. And they even just introduced Oreos here. How great is that.

    Hope you're enjoying Bratislava!

    ReplyDelete
  4. In addition, you can look into these:

    http://www.koge-shop.at/ (online store only)
    http://www.bobbys.at/v2/

    ReplyDelete